Wednesday 10 January 2024

It was on this day ..



 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

I've never been good at football photography, so it's no surprise that I only have one stand-out memory of ever covering the 'beautiful game'. When I was eighteen years old, just three months into my first ever job as a press photographer, I was sent down to London's White Hart Lane to photograph Altrincham v Spurs in the third round of the FA Cup. The date was January 10th, 1979. Forty-five years ago today. It was cold and my camera gear was basic, but I managed to (very nearly) catch the goal that earnt Altrincham a one-all draw and a lucrative replay at their Moss Lane ground. After the match, I headed for the changing rooms and took this lovely shot of goal-scorer Jeff Johnson enjoying his 15 minutes of fame. I achieved a little fame myself when my photographs appeared in the Manchester Evening News the following day. My boss had 'borrowed' my photographs and sold them to our rival. I think he gave me twenty-five quid for my efforts ..  

No comments:

Post a Comment