Thursday 9 August 2018

Simpler times ..

















This photograph is getting on for 45 years old! It was my idea of art when I was 13 or fourteen years old. Taken on a Kodak Instamatic that I think may have been forgotten about in my Mum's sideboard, it shows my brother and sister being 'held' by one of our friends from down the street. I was at the start of my interest in photography and just five years from getting my first job as a professional photographer. The gorgeous cherry tree on the left is now cut down, people have paved over these gardens and now, instead of the one car you can see, the street is chock full of them. We knew who lived in every one of the houses you can see here, and played marbles and football and conkers and hide and seek with no knowledge of supposed 'perverts' or danger of hurting ourselves or fear of being run over. We even played on the railway banking that can be seen behind the houses at the rear and I can still hear the sound of the grasshoppers that lived there in the summer. And the lad in the middle? Dead from drugs a mere 15 years later. Innocence gone. RIP KC ..


No comments:

Post a Comment