Wednesday 1 August 2018

New Day Dawns ..




















It's New Year's Day for me! For years I've used an academic diary to plan my days - and their year finishes on July 31st - so it was a funny old morning as I closed the book on 2017/18 and opened my new brand new 18/19 diary this morning. I say funny when I actually mean nostalgic, because 'last year's' diary opened onto a month that was full of preparation for our move to France. It's fascinating to look back and see what we were up to as we packed our lives into cardboard boxes last August ..

There was excitement, and nerves, and a mega sense of things rushing towards us. At the same time as we were gearing up to leave the UK, I was trying to get my house in order to enable me to rent it out. There are one-word entries like 'Carpets' and 'Skip' and 'Burglar alarm' .. (ok, that's two) as I got everything ready for tenants, and there are entries like 'Phone Tristan' (French plumber) and 'Book Rob' (French TV installers) and 'Speak to Emma' .. the last bride whose Wedding I photographed in England. Yes, it was manic ..

And today? New Year's Day? Bliss! 30 degrees, and a leisurely day getting the gîte ready for tonight's arrival. (They've just arrived, by the way, and what bloody lovely people they are.) Who'd have thought it would all settle down so quickly? This afternoon I was working on a few pix ('Cos it's far too hot to go out!!) when I got an email saying we'd had a gîte booking - for three weeks - next summer. The lady has just been over to France and was so keen to get her next visit sorted that she went straight online and booked a trip. All this as I dust off my f1.8 because .. I'm photographing a Wedding on Saturday! Oh man, who'd have thought?

Yes, it looks like it's definitely going to be a 'Happy New Year'! Season's Greetings, one and all  ..

 

No comments:

Post a Comment