Friday 22 April 2016

Gone ..


















And so another one bites the dust. Poor old Prince, and just a day after poor old Victoria Wood. Actually, neither of them were old and that just makes it all the more sad. As soon as I heard of the death of Prince I hit my record collection and pulled out .. both .. singles that I own by him. I think it's true to say I wasn't his biggest fan but it's just the shock, isn't it? The suddenness, the surprise, the knowledge that the world of your youth has changed just another little bit ..

I'm afraid to say my only memory of Victoria Wood is a bad one. I was sent to photograph her at some charity thing or other, and she wouldn't play ball. Just wouldn't come on a picture, and who knows why? Busy day? Time of the month? Didn't like my ugly mush? Whatever the reason, she wouldn't pose for me and, as much as I enjoy her music and humour, and as funny and talented and nice as she was, I'm afraid I've never been able to forget that one negative impression of her. First impressions do count. Mess those up and the moment, like all the stars that are dropping dead around us, will be gone forever ..

No comments:

Post a Comment