Thursday 21 May 2015

Will the real Mick Middles please stand up ..

















What's better than a night out with Mick Middles? A night out with two of the buggers..

That's what I had last night when I went to see the Joy Division play 'New Dawn Fades' at Bury Met. I went with my erstwhile mucker Mick, who's described as the 'quite brilliant writer' when he actually features in the play as a young journo interviewing Joy Division at the start of the 80s. I wonder what the audience would have felt if they knew the 'real' Mick Middles was in da house. (Don't answer that!) The actor Sean, who plays him, is pictured on the right, just to avoid confusion, ho ho ..

It's a great play though, with warmth, wit, wisdom and a well-handled ending and I'd advise any JD fan to catch it if it ever does the rounds again..

Seeing it at the Met added a certain extra poignancy to the evening, as that was the actual stage Joy Division played on on the night of the infamous 'riot' when Ian was too ill to sing. Adding that to the feelings I had on Monday, being in the actual church he used to attend, rounded off a really rather good celebration of his short and spectacular life. And now my life must turn towards 'other stuff' ..

Weddings, for example .. as I have my next one tomorrow afternoon. More memories to capture..

Capturing memories! Ah! One last thing, then. The shots I took at Hooky's gig on Monday are now online. I chiselled 150 shots together as a good illustration of the night and they've had 487 views since they went live yesterday afternoon. I've had lovely complimentary messages from as far away as Lima, Peru! Even Mick Middles likes' em .. 

Stop press .. here's Mick's interview with the band!



No comments:

Post a Comment