Sunday 3 May 2015

10 years - 25 years - 35 years!



















My Joy Division photographs are going on display in Macclesfield this week to mark the 35th anniversary of the death of lead singer Ian Curtis. It was only as I was checking through all the work this morning that another date dawned on me. It's exactly ten years ago to the day that the photographs went on display for the very first time in a show I'd wanted to stage to mark the 25th anniversary of his passing. Until then none of this work had been seen .. by anyone! - and I'd decided I wanted to do something on such an important anniversary. I'd hoped to stage the show in the actual Youth Club in which the band performed but, after much searching, came to the conclusion that it didn't exist any more. The nearest venue with space available - at a time nearest to the anniversary - was Hale Library, and they actually only had a five-day slot for me to exhibit. In the end that went down to four days as the library was used as a Polling Booth on the Thursday!
Bloody elections!..

The work that's going up at Charles Roe House is the original set of prints and frames from that first Hale Library exhibition. I hope you can get down to see it ..    

No comments:

Post a Comment