Thursday 21 November 2013

Heads or tails? ..













I have a couple of things I wanted to talk about today, so it's going to have to be a toss-up as to what I actually blog. The choices are Queens of The Stone Age and, er .. broken flash equipment! Ok, here we go. Heads! It's Heads! Heads is broken flash equipment! Sorry .. exciting, eh?

So, yesterday I went on a PR shoot to Blackburn. A company's new offices and a portrait shoot with all the directors, including one who'd flown in from the Isle of Man for the morning. Arrived nice and early, chose my locations, set my lights up and .. nothing happened! Without boring you to death (Am I too late?) a piece of gear I use - the deliciously named Nikon SU-800 Master Commander - had suddenly become decidely unmasterful and definitely demoted from Commander. Basically, it was supposed to fire all my remote flash guns and .. it didn't. Now this is where the weather comes in. Oh, I forgot to mention the blog was about the weather, too! If you remember, yesterday morning was hell! Wind, rain, hail .. the works and, as I drove up to Blackburn, I thought there was no way in heaven I'd be able to shoot the outdoor photos that were required. However, by the time I got to Blackburn the storm was passed and the sun ..well, the sun was absolutely blazing down - fierce, low and bright. Too bright to get the group shots I needed! I had to yank everybody into the shade of a nearby building in order to stop them burning their retinas out! Thing was, now that the sun was doing its thing, the stairwell of the new office was aglow with soft, bounced light .. so that's where I shot the portraits! I'm sure the client was wondering what sort of photographer they'd booked but hey, I got the shots and everybody's happy. Well, almost everybody. A new SU-800 Master Commander costs £300! ..

Tomorrow .. Queens of the Stone Age! Bet you can't wait ...

No comments:

Post a Comment