Tuesday 18 June 2013

A question of timing ..



















This amused me yesterday! I was searching through my 'box of important stuff', trying to find my MOT certificate (And no, I didn't, now that you ask!) However I did find my diary for 1981, the year I turned 21. On the inside front cover there's this list of figures and abbreviations. Hello, hello, you ask, what was a bright young thing like Martin keeping a record of in 1981? Chicks' phone numbers? Names of great Manchester discos? New punk singles to buy? No, no, no .. sadly, it's the dev times of HP5! Now if you're not into photography this won't mean a thing, but it's a list of the development times and chemicals needed for a black and white Ilford film called HP5 when rated at varying ISOs .. or ASAs as we used to call them! Man! Look at that! If you wanted to shoot at 6400 ASA you had to dev your film for 25 minutes in Microphen! (And probably at about boiling point!!) These days that adjustment would take you .. oooh, a second and a half? And you wouldn't need to make a note of it in your diary! Go chase chicks, you square...

No comments:

Post a Comment