Thursday 5 April 2012

0800 Snap Me ..



















I can still remember the day someone came up behind me at a Wedding and took a photograph .. on their phone! My God, I was still getting over the shock of being able to shoot without film, never mind without a camera! And now here I am, merrily aiming my Samsung at anyone and anything, and whizzing shots up to Facebook and Twitter as if I've always done it! Today's image, for example, was taken on my mobile at the Blackburne House Wedding Fayre last Saturday. Now I know that means we're now in the age of the 'Citizen Journalist', and the power of a mobile phone shot or video is becoming ever more obvious - the best camera, after all, is the one you have with you - but for me the old adage still stands. Simply owning a camera doesn't make you a photographer! As I get more and more into my Shoot 'n Tutor sessions it amazes me that I can stand right next to somebody and we'll shoot the same subject with completely differing results. Why, I think to myself, can't these people frame that shot the way I just did? Because they do not have The Photographer's Eye, that's why, so my teaching sessions
will always be about photography's mechanics, not its aesthetics. Now, where did I put my phone? ..

No comments:

Post a Comment