Thursday 16 June 2011

Good point...















So, I'm quietly minding my own business, yesterday afternoon, when there was a call from a company who rig stages and lighting at events. You took some shots at the "**" dinner last month, they said, and we wondered how we could get hold of some. Oh, I said, no problem. I'll put them online for you and you can see the shots you'd like to order! Fine!
Next thing, this young lady's boss rang. So, this chap asks, when they're online, can we download them? Of course you can, I said, if you "cross my palm with silver"!           
Pause!
We have to pay?  Funnily enough, sir, yes, you do! I own the copyright and I worked rather hard at that dinner to get these shots that you've just said you'd like to own. The guy from this company, let's call it JH Creative, then became rather indignant about this crazy suggestion of mine that he should pay for my work. I'm going to the client, he said, they'll give them to me for nothing. No, sir, they won't. That company understands copyright and they won't let you have the pictures. (By the way, we're talking a whole twenty five quid, here!)
What did you want to use them for? I asked.
We want to put them into proposals for when we go to new clients, he said. We can show them what we do when we pitch for new work! Oh! I said, so my work is so good that you'd proudly use it to promote your own product, yet you don't want to pay anything for it? Nice one!

Well, how come you own the copyright? he asked.
All you did was "POINT THE CAMERA!"

This is a company that uses the word "creative" in its title, yet even it doesn't see any value or worth in good photography. Is it any wonder the image of photography is going downhill?

It's a shame this company won't get to see this work. It is, though I say so myself, bloody great stuff, and makes the few lightbulbs and bits of wood that they threw together that evening look really good!

No comments:

Post a Comment