Saturday 27 March 2010

Flies by!




















Time, that is!
Just reading the other day about the Red Arrows crash in Cyprus. Took my mind back to this picture, which I shot when I was a mere lad of twenty (1980..save you the maths!)
It was the Manchester Air Show, and the Arrows were wrapping the show in their typically fantastic fashion. I was trying to get a shot of the two 'singleton' jets as they crossed each other. Show over, I shot back to the darkroom to develop my film (Sigh!) and was disappointed to see this was the shot I got. Yes, disappointed...you couldn't see the two jets and their lovely crossed smoke trails.
Luckily for me my old boss, the legend that is Eddie Fuller, had a second look at the negatives, and saw the frame. He made me print it..it went front page of the paper and won me Photographer of the Year (with a nice congratulatory letter from the head of the Red Arrows!)
They say a photographer sometimes doesn't spot his own good shots...I certainly proved it that day!

No comments:

Post a Comment